Tell Me About Yourself: 5 Sample Answers for Freshers
Last updated: September 2026
“Tell me about yourself” is usually the first question in an interview, and it catches many freshers off guard. It sounds simple, but you can easily ramble about your family, your hobbies or your whole life story. The interviewer is not asking for that. They want a short, confident summary that shows who you are professionally and why you fit the role.
This guide gives you a simple three-part formula, five sample answers for different fresher profiles, and a five-step practice plan. All names and details in the examples are fictional, so use them as models and write your own version.
What the interviewer really wants to know
When an interviewer asks this question, they are usually checking three things: whether you can communicate clearly, whether your background matches the job, and whether you have thought about why you applied. It is also a chance for you to steer the conversation towards your strongest points before they ask other questions.
That is why a good answer is short and organised. Aim for about 60 to 90 seconds when you speak, which works out to roughly 120 to 180 words.
The Present, Proof, Purpose formula
Build your answer in three parts. First say who you are now (Present), then give one or two pieces of evidence (Proof), then explain why you want this role (Purpose).
Weak answer vs strong answer
Many freshers start with their name, hometown and family, then finish with a general wish for “a good job in a good company”. Compare that with a short answer built on the formula.
5 sample answers for freshers
These answers are written for speaking, so they use short, natural sentences. Do not memorise them word for word. Use them to see how the three parts fit together, then replace the details with your own true information.
Sample 1: B.Com graduate applying for finance operations
Good morning. I am Ananya Verma, a B.Com graduate from [College Name], and I completed my degree in 2026. During college, I developed a strong interest in accounts and finance operations.
In my final year, I did a bank reconciliation case study where I matched 150 sample transactions between a cash book and a passbook and found 12 mismatches. I also built an Excel expense tracker using SUMIFS and pivot tables, and I completed a Tally Prime course.
I enjoy work that needs accuracy and a clear process, and I am looking for an entry-level role where I can learn real finance operations. That is why I applied for this position.
Why it works: it names the degree and year, gives two pieces of proof with numbers, and ends by linking the goal to this job.
Sample 2: BCA graduate applying for an IT or testing role
Hello, I am Rohan Mehta. I finished my BCA in 2026 from [College Name], where I focused on web development and databases.
For my final-year project, I built a student attendance system using HTML, CSS, JavaScript and MySQL. I worked with two teammates and tested it with 60 sample records. I also practise SQL problems regularly to improve my query writing.
I am looking for an entry-level software or testing role where I can learn from experienced developers. I applied here because the job description mentions databases and testing, which are the areas I enjoy most.
Why it works: it lists the technologies used, mentions teamwork and testing, and connects the role to the job description.
Sample 3: BA graduate applying for customer support
Good afternoon. I am Priya Nair, a BA English graduate from [College Name], class of 2026. I am comfortable communicating in English and Hindi, and I have always enjoyed helping people solve problems.
During my college fest, I volunteered at the help desk. I answered visitor questions about registration and schedules and passed complicated issues to the organising team. I also practise typing regularly and reach about 35 words per minute.
I am applying for this customer support role because it lets me use my communication skills every day, and I am ready for shift work. I want to learn your processes and grow with the team.
Why it works: it matches the skills that a support job asks for, uses a real activity as evidence, and answers the shift-work question before it is asked.
Sample 4: BBA graduate applying for a sales and marketing trainee role
Hello, I am Karan Malhotra, a BBA graduate from [College Name], 2026, with a specialisation in marketing.
For a college project, I surveyed 80 students about their snack preferences and presented the results with three recommendations to a faculty panel. I was also part of the event team for our business fest, where I contacted local businesses for sponsorship and helped secure three sponsors.
I like talking to people and understanding what they need, so I am looking for a sales and marketing trainee role. I am applying to your company because of the field training programme mentioned in the job posting.
Why it works: the proof shows research, presentation and outreach, and the ending refers to something specific in the posting.
Sample 5: Graduate with a gap after college
Good morning, I am Sneha Iyer. I completed my B.Sc. in Computer Science in 2025. After graduation, I took a year for [your honest reason, such as exam preparation or a family responsibility].
During that time, I completed an online data analysis course and built two small projects in Excel and Python, which are listed on my resume.
I am now ready to start my career and I am looking for an entry-level data analyst role. I kept my skills updated, and I am excited to apply them in a team.
Why it works: it explains the gap in one honest sentence, without apologising, and moves straight to what she did and what she wants next. If you have a gap, be truthful and brief, then talk about what you learned or built.
Tailor the answer to each job
The Present and Proof parts stay similar across interviews, but change the Purpose part every time. Read the job posting and mention one or two things that truly interest you about the role or company. Choose the project that best matches the job as your proof. Our guide on tailoring your resume for different jobs explains how to match your evidence to a posting.
Practise your answer
When you speak, slow down, pause between the three parts, and look at the interviewer. In a video interview, look at the camera lens when you speak so that it feels like eye contact. It is fine to sound natural instead of perfect. A memorised answer that sounds like reading from a script is worse than a slightly imperfect one that sounds like you.
What not to say
- Do not read out your resume line by line. The interviewer already has it.
- Do not talk about family, hometown or hobbies unless the interviewer asks or they clearly relate to the job.
- Do not use empty claims such as “I am hardworking and honest” without an example to back them up.
- Do not criticise your college, a past employer or teachers.
- Do not mention salary in this answer.
- Do not go on for several minutes. If the interviewer wants more, they will ask.
Frequently asked questions
How long should my answer be?
About 60 to 90 seconds. Time yourself when you practise, because most people speak faster or slower than they think.
Should I include my family or hobbies?
Usually not. If a hobby relates to the job, for example blogging for a content role, one short mention is fine.
Should I memorise my answer?
Memorise the structure and the key facts, not the exact sentences. That way you can adjust if the conversation goes in a different direction.
What if I get nervous and forget?
Pause, take a breath and start again from the first part. Keeping a small note of the three headings in mind (Present, Proof, Purpose) helps you find your place.
Should I answer in English or Hindi?
Follow the interviewer's lead. If the role needs English communication, answer in English, and if you are unsure, you can politely ask which language they prefer.
Final thoughts
A good answer to “Tell me about yourself” is short, specific and linked to the job. Use the Present, Proof, Purpose formula, choose your best evidence, and practise until it feels natural. For more preparation, browse our Interview Prep section, and make sure your resume backs up the story you tell.
All names, colleges and results in the sample answers are fictional. Adapt the examples to your own honest experience.
Comments
Post a Comment