30 Common HR Interview Questions for Freshers With Sample Answers

Last updated: September 2026

The HR round is where many freshers lose an offer they had already earned on skills. The questions are usually simple, but simple questions are easy to answer badly: too vague, too long, too rehearsed or not linked to the job. Good preparation fixes all four problems.

This guide covers 30 questions that HR interviewers commonly ask freshers, grouped into six sections. For each one you will find a sample answer and a short tip. The answers come from a fictional B.Com graduate applying for a finance operations role, so treat them as models, not scripts, and rewrite them using your own honest experience. If you have not yet prepared your opening answer, read our guide to “Tell me about yourself” first.

Six groups of five HR interview questions covering background, interest in the job, education, behavioural, practical and closing questions
The 30 questions in this guide, in six groups.

How to use this guide

  • Read each question and write your own answer before looking at the sample.
  • Use real details: your projects, your college, your results. Interviewers can tell when an answer is borrowed.
  • Aim for 30 to 90 seconds per answer, or roughly 60 to 180 words for the longer ones.
  • Practise aloud, not only in your head. Speaking is different from thinking.

About you (questions 1 to 5)

Start with the questions about your background. These are usually asked first, so a calm, well-organised answer sets the tone.

1. Walk me through your resume.

Sample answer: I completed my B.Com in 2026 from [College Name]. In my final year, I worked on a bank reconciliation project and built an Excel expense tracker, and I finished a Tally Prime course. I also managed the budget for our commerce society's fest. These experiences made me want to start in finance operations, so I applied for this role.

Tip: Follow the order of your resume, spend the most time on projects, and do not read it line by line.

2. What are your strengths?

Sample answer: My main strengths are accuracy and learning quickly. In my reconciliation project, I found 12 mismatches by checking each entry twice. When I needed Tally Prime, I finished a course and practised on sample data within three weeks. I try to add a new skill every few months.

Tip: Pick two strengths and prove each with a short example.

3. What is your weakness?

Sample answer: I used to hesitate to speak in group discussions. I noticed it in college, so I started volunteering to present our project updates. I have presented four times now and I feel much more comfortable. I still prepare notes in advance, but I no longer avoid speaking.

Tip: Choose a real weakness that is not central to the job, then show what you are doing about it.

Three steps to answer the weakness question: choose a real weakness, say what you are doing about it and share your progress
A simple structure for the weakness question.

4. Where do you see yourself in five years?

Sample answer: In five years, I hope to have solid experience in finance operations, stronger Excel and reporting skills, and enough responsibility to guide new joiners on small tasks. I want to grow with a company that lets me learn, so I hope to still be contributing here.

Tip: Show ambition that fits the role. Avoid saying you plan to leave in a year or start a business.

5. What do you do in your free time?

Sample answer: I enjoy reading about personal finance and practising Excel by building small budgeting sheets. I also play badminton on weekends, which helps me stay active and manage stress.

Tip: Give one or two honest answers, ideally with one that connects to the job.

Your interest in the job (questions 6 to 10)

These questions test whether you researched the role and why you chose it.

6. Why do you want this job?

Sample answer: The job description mentions daily reconciliation and reporting in Excel and Tally, which matches my project work. I want a role where I can learn structured processes and grow into a finance specialist, and this position gives me that starting point.

Tip: Refer to something specific in the job posting.

7. Why should we hire you?

Sample answer: I have the basic skills the job needs: Excel, Tally Prime and reconciliation practice. I am careful with numbers and I learn quickly. I will give the team my full effort while I learn your processes.

Tip: Match two or three requirements from the posting to your evidence. Be confident, not boastful.

8. What do you know about our company?

Sample answer: I read that [Company] provides [product or service] to [type of customers] and works from [locations]. I also saw on your careers page that you run a graduate training programme. I like that, because it shows a focus on developing new employees.

Tip: Spend fifteen minutes on the company website, LinkedIn page and recent news. Never guess.

9. Why did you choose this career field?

Sample answer: During my B.Com, I found that I enjoy work where I can check details and reach a clear answer. Reconciliation gave me that satisfaction. I also see finance operations as a field with a clear path to grow, from processing to analysis.

Tip: Tell a short, true story about how you became interested.

10. Why did you apply to us and not another company?

Sample answer: I applied to a few companies in this field, but yours stood out because of [a specific reason, such as the training programme, the type of clients or the team's work]. I want to start where I can learn properly, and this looks like that place.

Tip: It is fine to say that you applied elsewhere. Explain what attracts you here.

Education and experience (questions 11 to 15)

Interviewers use these questions to understand your background and to test how well you know your own projects.

11. Why did you choose your degree?

Sample answer: I chose B.Com because I liked accounts and economics in school, and I wanted a practical field. After the first year, I was sure it was right for me, because I enjoyed the accounting and Excel labs the most.

Tip: Give a genuine reason. Do not blame parents or circumstances.

12. Tell me about your final-year project.

Sample answer: My project was a bank reconciliation case study. I matched 150 sample transactions between a cash book and a passbook in Excel. I found 12 mismatches, such as timing differences and one duplicate entry, and prepared a reconciliation statement with a reason for each. It taught me to check details methodically.

Tip: Explain the problem, your role, the tools and the result in about a minute, and be ready for follow-up questions.

13. What is your biggest achievement?

Sample answer: Managing the budget for our commerce society's fest is my proudest achievement. We had ₹25,000, and I tracked every expense against the plan. We finished within budget, and I presented the final summary to our faculty advisor.

Tip: Choose something with a clear result. It does not have to be big.

14. Why is there a gap in your education or career?

Sample answer: After my degree, I took [time period] for [honest reason]. During that time, I completed [course] and built [project], so my skills stayed current. I am now ready to start my career full time.

Tip: Be honest and brief, do not apologise, and move on to what you did and what you want next.

15. Why are your marks lower than you hoped?

Sample answer: My first-year marks were lower because I was still adjusting and did not plan my study time well. I made a schedule and improved my scores every semester. That taught me to plan ahead and to recover from a slow start.

Tip: Give a reason without blaming others, and show improvement if it is true. Never change your marks.

Behavioural questions (questions 16 to 20)

These questions ask for a real story. Use the STAR method: describe the Situation, your Task, the Action you took and the Result.

The STAR method: Situation, Task, Action and Result, with an example about a group project
Structure story answers with STAR.

16. Tell me about a time you worked in a team.

Sample answer: In my final-year project, our team of four had one week to finish a report. I was responsible for the Excel analysis. When a teammate fell ill, I took over part of their tables so we could still meet the deadline. We submitted on time and received positive feedback.

Tip: Show what you personally did, not only what the team did.

17. Tell me about a time you failed.

Sample answer: In my first-semester presentation, I did not practise, and I ran out of time before my last slide. My marks were low. I learned to rehearse with a timer, and in later presentations I finished on time and scored better.

Tip: Choose a small, real failure and focus on what you learned.

18. How do you handle pressure or tight deadlines?

Sample answer: I break the work into small tasks and start with the most urgent one. For a submission last semester, I listed everything by deadline and finished the essential parts first. If I think I might miss a date, I ask for help early.

Tip: Describe your method, then give a short example.

19. Tell me about a time you led others.

Sample answer: I led a four-member team for our Excel dashboard project. I divided the tasks by each person's strengths, set two check-in meetings a week and reviewed the final workbook. We finished two days early.

Tip: College projects, clubs and event teams all count as leadership. Do not say you have never led.

20. How do you handle criticism?

Sample answer: I listen first without defending myself, then ask what I can improve. My project guide once told me that my report was hard to follow, so I reorganised it with headings and a summary. The next version was much clearer.

Tip: Show that you can take feedback calmly and act on it.

Practical questions (questions 21 to 25)

These questions decide practical matters. Answer honestly, because the company will plan around what you say.

21. Are you willing to relocate?

Sample answer: Yes, I am open to relocating. I would like to know the location and any relocation support early, so I can plan properly.

Tip: Say yes only if it is true. If not, name the locations that work for you.

22. Are you comfortable with shifts or night work?

Sample answer: Yes, I understand that this role may need shift work, and I am comfortable with it. I would like to know the shift pattern so I can plan my travel and rest.

Tip: Answer honestly and ask about travel arrangements and safety for late shifts if relevant.

23. What are your salary expectations?

Sample answer: I have researched the typical range for freshers in this role and location, and I understand that pay depends on the company's structure. I am open to your standard package for freshers. My priority is a role where I can learn and grow, and I am happy to discuss the details.

Tip: Check salary ranges before the interview. If pressed, give a realistic range instead of a single figure.

24. When can you join?

Sample answer: I can join [immediately, within a number of days, or after my final exams on a date]. If needed, I can be flexible about the exact date.

Tip: Give a realistic date that you can keep.

25. Do you have any other job offers?

Sample answer: I have applied to a few companies and I am at different stages in each process. This role is one of my top choices because of [reason].

Tip: Be truthful. Never invent an offer to gain leverage.

Closing questions (questions 26 to 30)

The end of the interview still counts, so prepare these too.

26. Do you have any questions for us?

Sample answer: Yes, I have a few. What does a typical day look like for someone in this role? What training will new joiners receive? How will performance be measured in the first six months? And what are the next steps in the hiring process?

Tip: Prepare three or four questions. Do not begin with salary, leave or holidays.

27. What motivates you?

Sample answer: Learning something new and seeing a clear result motivates me. When I finished my first reconciliation and saw the numbers match, I felt very satisfied. I like tasks where the work is clear and useful to others.

Tip: Link your motivation to the kind of work in the job.

28. How do you plan and prioritise your work?

Sample answer: Each morning I list my tasks, mark the urgent and important ones, and do those first. I review my list at the end of the day. During exams and projects, I used a weekly planner, and it helped me submit everything on time.

Tip: Describe a simple system you actually use.

29. What would your friends or teachers say about you?

Sample answer: My teachers would say I am dependable and careful with details, because I submitted assignments on time and checked my work. My friends would say I am calm and good at explaining things, since I often helped them with Excel.

Tip: Give one or two qualities that suit the job and back them with a reason.

30. Is there anything else you would like to add?

Sample answer: Only that I am very interested in this role and ready to learn quickly. Thank you for the opportunity to speak with you today.

Tip: Use it to add one strength you have not mentioned, and keep it short.

Before the interview: a quick checklist

  1. Read the job posting again and note the three skills it stresses.
  2. Research the company: what it does, who its customers are and any recent news.
  3. Prepare your opening answer and two or three project stories using the STAR method.
  4. Write down three questions to ask the interviewer.
  5. Keep your resume, ID and any documents the invitation mentions, and have soft copies ready.
  6. Plan your travel or test your internet, camera and microphone for a video interview.

Common mistakes in the HR round

  • Memorising word for word. It sounds robotic, and you freeze if the question is worded differently.
  • Giving answers with no example. Claims such as “I am a team player” mean little without a story.
  • Speaking badly about others. Never criticise a teacher, college, classmate or former employer.
  • Lying. Interviewers check details, and a false claim can cost you the job later.
  • Asking about pay or leave first. Wait until the interviewer raises the topic or you have an offer.

Frequently asked questions

How should I prepare if I have no work experience?

Use college projects, internships, volunteering, events and courses as your examples. Interviewers of freshers expect these, not full-time experience.

Can I use notes in the interview?

In an in-person interview, a small notebook with your questions for the interviewer is fine. Do not read your answers from it. In a video interview, keep short bullet points out of the camera view and speak naturally.

What if I do not know the answer?

Pause and think. It is better to say “I am not sure, but here is how I would approach it” than to guess or stay silent. Honesty and a clear thought process both count.

How do I stay calm?

Practise aloud, sleep well the night before, arrive early, and take a breath before each answer. A short pause looks confident, not weak.

Final thoughts

HR interviewers are not trying to trick you. They want to see whether you communicate clearly, understand the job and can be trusted to learn and to work with others. Prepare real examples for the questions above, practise them aloud, and stay honest. Keep your resume consistent with your answers, and read our guides on resume writing and interview preparation for more.

All names, colleges and results in the sample answers are fictional. Hiring processes vary by employer, so adapt your preparation to each company and role.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

American Express Hiring – Senior Analyst, Risk Management

American Express Analyst – Compliance Job

American Express Hiring 2026 – Apprentice – Banking and Business Blueprint

We’re Hiring! Complete Your Candidate Profile

Barclays Hiring: Assistant Manager 2026

American Express Hiring 2026: Analyst – Executive Insights | Gurugram | Apply Now

🚨 Barclays Hiring | Transaction Monitoring Analytics

AMEX Interview Questions 2026: Top 50 Questions & Best Answer

Genpact Assistant Manager – Record to Report